- Explore the nature of illness, and the indigenous Cape herbs that can help as first-aid remedies for acute, minor conditions.
- Meet the most important first-aid herbs, and use your senses to discover their qualities and usefulness.
- Discuss a variety of common, minor ailments and how herbs can be used safely and effectively as first-aid remedies.
- Learn how to grow herbs, and how to harvest, store and prepare them so as to preserve their beneficial qualities.
- Create your own herbal first-aid remedies including teas, balm, compress, wash and gargle.
- Take home your first-aid remedies, three herbs for your indigenous herb garden, and a manual with basic theory, recipes and herb profiles.
A HERBS FOR WELLBEING WORKSHOP
- Greater awareness of the nature and qualities of Cape herbs, and their role in nurturing wellbeing.
- A deeper valuing of traditional perspectives on Cape herbs and their usefulness.
- A better understanding of the primary chemical constituents of Cape herbs and their actions on the body and mind.
- A critical appreciation of the potential harms and benefits associated with the use of herbs, their cultivation, and commodification.
- Clarity on the current status of herbalists and herbal medicine, and the implications for personal use, trade and industry.
- The knowledge and skills required to cultivate and harvest Cape herbs ethically and sustainably.
- The knowledge, skills and recipes to create simple herbal first-aid remedies, beverages and foodstuffs for yourself, your family, and pets.
- A growing interest in creating with Cape herbs to nurture wellbeing.